You Who Came from The Stars (My Love From Another Star), is a 21 episode korean tv series that was aired from December 2013 until March 2014. It is a romantic comedy that tells the love story of an alien and hallyu star. Do Min Joon played by Kim Soo Hyun is an alien who came to earth more than 400 years ago during the Joseon Dynasty. For 4 centuries he has lived his life trying his best not make acquaintances and meddle with lives of people. On 2013 a hallyu star, Cheon Song Yi played by Jun Ji Hyun (lead actress of the all time favorite korean movie My Sassy Girl) became his next door neighbor. And that’s when their love story begins. The story spins around their comic love and Do Min Joon’s supernatural ways of saving Cheon Song Yi’s life.
This drama is different from other dramas in several ways:
- The strong personality of the female lead. It is generic for dramas to have the female lead character to be weak and always oppressed but this is not the case for this drama. Cheon Song Yi has a strong personality, you wouldn’t have the feel that she is too fragile. She has good confidence, she is sure of herself. She’s not the typical character who’s always nice, selfless and self sacrificing. She could be selfish and “bitchy”. Having these “flaws” makes her character realistic.
- Its extraterrestrial. But this is not your typical ET or Avatar thing. Every alien looks like Kim Soo Hyun then I want an invasion HAHA! Although the dramas has several special effects showcasing Do Min Joon’s superpowers of telekinesis, stopping time, levitation, its not awkward. The effects were not overdone, it does not give you a fake feel.
And wanting to have a vampire for a boyfriend is so 2008. Alien is the new thing 🙂
- This is one of the funniest. Several episodes were really very comic. This drama gives you a good laugh. ( REPLY 1997 is another cute and funny kdrama series)
- You’ll never wish she’s with the other guy. I don’t know about you but with me, dramas with love triangles makes me sympathize with “other guy”. That guy who is selfless and caring. But with this, no matter how sweet, gentle AND CUTE is Hee Kyung, there was never a moment that I wished Cheon Song Yi would choose him instead. But nevertheless you’ll appreciate he’s free spirited character.
- Adorable younger brother
- Its is exciting. Scenes and episodes can get so intense that it gets you nervous for the next episode. It makes you think twice if you’re emotionally prepared for what’s gonna happen next.
What I don’t like about it?
It leaves me hanging. For me, endings that makes you wander and want for more is always a good ending because it means that the plot is good you have become attached to it and wants more. But although this makes me want more, I’m torn if I loved the way it ended. There’s just so many uncertainties and unanswered questions it makes me quite sad.
Nevertheless I give this a rating of 8.5 out of 10. It is a must see. The highest TV rating was 27.4% of audience share. The episode tune in has out shown Queen Yuna’s performance in the winter Olympics. If you are looking for a new, feel good, funny, exciting, romantic drama, this is the one you’re looking for.